When we think about dentures, we typically think about full or complete dentures that replace a full set of teeth – whether it’s the top jaw, bottom jaw, or both. But did you know partial dentures are available for replacing a few missing teeth? Not quite a bridge and less invasive than dental implants, partial dentures are an effective option to ‘fill’ the gap between missing teeth.
At Airdrie 8th Street Dental, we offer fully customized partial dentures as an affordable restoration solution for our patients.
What are partial dentures?
Partial dentures are removable appliances that support the use of natural teeth to maintain dental health. These appliances consist of a gum-coloured base, a metal framework that keeps the dentures sturdy, and artificial teeth typically made of resin and porcelain.
If you’re lost one or more teeth, a removable partial denture is an affordable alternative to dental implants. Some patients who aren’t a candidate for dental implants opt for receiving a partial denture instead.
The benefits of partial dentures
The importance of replacing missing teeth is not all about cosmetic purposes, although aesthetics do play a significant factor for patients. While partial dentures can help improve the look of your smile and boost your confidence, they also help you maintain good oral health.
When missing teeth are neglected, surrounding teeth will eventually shift and cause further issues down the road, including crowding, problems with bite function, jawbone loss, headaches, difficulty chewing, a sunken face, and more.
Some of the benefits of having partial dentures include:
- Improved ability to chew
- Improved speech
- Improved smile
- Supports facial structure
- Helps preserve the surrounding natural teeth
- Prevent problems with the jaw joint as a result of missing teeth
- Enhanced self-esteem and confidence when talking, smiling, and eating
- Non-invasive option with minimal discomfort
The treatment process
Partial dentures are completely customized to fit the space in your mouth. Your dentist will require a few different appointments to make sure that your partial dentures are comfortable. The treatment process typically follows the steps below:
- Your dentist will take accurate measurements and impressions of your mouth and teeth, including the upper and lower arches, where the missing teeth are, and the surrounding natural teeth.
- A trial run with temporary dentures, in which your dentist will make necessary adjustments to assist with comfort.
- The creation of permanent dentures and any further adjustments. Your dentist will test out speech, functionality, and ensure that everything fits comfortably.
Finding the right fit may take several adjustments. Getting used to partial dentures may take a few days or a couple of weeks. Over time, our gums change and teeth shift, so you may need a few adjustments in the future. If you’re having issues with your partial dentures, be sure to see your dentist right away. We don’t want it to slip, cause friction, or do damage to your gums.
Where to find partial dentures in Airdrie
Our dentist office in Airdrie offers partial denture services, along with other teeth restoration options such as dental implants, bridges, crowns, and more. If you’re interested in partial dentures, book an appointment with us today and let’s get you one step closer to having a fully functional, beautiful smile!