According to Statistics Canada, over 74% of Canadians visited an orthodontist in 2018. That’s three-quarters of the population, equalling more than 27 million people! While many of these individuals want their teeth aligned for the perfect smile, straightened teeth have many other advantages, including reductions in tooth decay and other dental complications. So if you’re looking to straighten your teeth with dental braces, orthodontic dentistry can help. In fact, there are two methods to consider; braces and Invisalign.
But you may wonder what the difference between the two methods is and which is best for you. Keep reading to learn more.
What’s the Difference Between Braces and Invisalign?
Dental braces are the typical choice for crooked, crowded, or misaligned teeth. Braces usually consist of metal brackets fastened to each tooth and attached by wires and elastic that slowly align the teeth over time. Conversely, Invisalign is a more present-day dental solution that uses soft-plastic-tailored transparent aligners. These aligners gradually shift the teeth into their proper placement and must be replaced every two weeks until your teeth are correctly aligned.
Benefits of Braces
- Effective: Braces will typically produce results quicker as they are irremovable and must be worn 24/7 for the time frame recommended by your orthodontist. Consider using braces if your teeth are severely misaligned or you have complicated dental problems.
- Numerous options: Aside from the conventional metallic braces, which are visible, you can also get coloured brackets as well as other options.
- Dental appointments: You must visit a clinic monthly or as recommended by your dentist. During each appointment, your orthodontist will examine the progress of your teeth, adjusting the brackets and wires as needed.
Benefits of Invisalign
- Invisible: As its name suggests, Invisalign is invisible; this is a major reason the treatment is so popular. The aligners are nearly undetectable, making them perfect for young adults and teenagers who may feel self-conscious about metal braces.
- Removable: Your aligners are removable. So you can easily take them out during physical activities, social functions, eating, etc. However, keep in mind that Invisalign is most effective when it is worn for at least 20-22 hours daily.
- Comfortable: Invisalign applies less pressure to your teeth, making it a comfortable solution. Moreover, they are safer for those who enjoy combat sports since metal edges may injure your tongue, inner lip, and sides of your mouth upon accidental contact.
Next Step: Book an Appointment Today!
Dental braces and Invisalign each have their advantages and disadvantages. As such, choosing one over the other is a matter of personal preference and lifestyle. At Airdrie 8th Street Dental, we aim to provide the highest quality and most comprehensive dental services. For this reason, we are here to assist you with any of your dental needs.
Whether you need help with sleep apnea, require wisdom or single-tooth extractions, or require any other dental service, we are here to help. So if you’re ready, contact us today to book an appointment.